Saturday, August 27, 2011

08/27: AOL

Being that I'm getting Internet
installed at my house today,
I thought it would be good
to bring up my first w counter
with the world wide web.
My family received tons
of those AOL diskettes
in the mail
that promised a few hours
here and there of
Internet browsing.
I whipped through those things
like crazy.
I became totally addicted
to chatting online
and looking at stuff
that I would never be exposed
to otherwise,
living in rural, small town Minnesota.
I remember I got 'hacked'
one night
and someone began
talking to me via pop-up
alert messages,
like the alert messages
your computer sends you.
This person was also able to make the cd tray open and close.
It was absolutely terrifying
and completely mystifying to me.
Then, years later,
I saw the movie Hackers
with Angelina Jolie,
and I totally fell in love with
the idea of this cyber counter culture.
I can still remember
the excitement I felt
when the modem began connecting while logging onto
AOL.
We had dial-up,
of course,
so you would get to hear
the modem chatter and squeal.





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment