Tuesday, August 16, 2011

08/16: The Witch


When I was in first or second grade,
my friend and I would walk past this old lady's house
while on our way to school.
We always called her a witch
and would spend time walking very slowly past her place
so that we could stare at her witchy house and try to
pick up on some of her witchy ways.
I am sure the only defining characteristic this woman possessed,
as far as being a witch,
was that she was pretty old and lived alone with cats.
My friend and I would dare each other to step foot into her yard,
which really wasn't hard since she lived right along side the road
and didn't have a fence or anything.
I'm not sure why it was so exciting,
but even still if I ever end up in my old neighborhood,
I still point and stare at her old house.
We would come up with fantastic stories
about her turning people into cats
or casting spells of some nature.

Looking back,
it's even more funny,
because there is a chance that I will end up
old, living alone, with many many cats.
Then someday children will dare each other
to run through my yard
and shriek when they see me.
Cat ladies are the new witches.

No comments:

Post a Comment