Thursday, August 11, 2011

08/11: The First Time I Ever Met Dennis

Dennis is my boy best friend.
He just passed his oral exam today
and has, in a sense, graduated from his master's program.
So, I thought today would be a good day to nod in his direction.

I was house sitting for my parents for two weeks in August.
As a poor single female,
house sitting is like wining the lotto.
What?
Leave my shitty ass apartment that is in the ghetto
and trade up for a house stocked with food, central air, and cable?
Didn't have to ask me twice.
I set up a Myspace account over the first week
and by the second week I had some dude trolling me.
It was Dennis.
His first email to me was this:
"I like your music section.
So Byron, huh?"
We emailed back and forth and then decided to meet up
in a soccer field one afternoon.
He pulled up in his car,
rolled down the window and said
"ya hungry?"
Then we went to Perkins
and without discussing what we each wanted,
we both ordered the mini chimmis.
Obviously we were fated to be friends for life.

It's strange,
because we really should have met
a million times before we actually met.
In the neighboring town of Rochester,
there was a group of guys that would coordinate shows
with the local bands every Friday.
It was a ritual for me and my friends to pool together our money
and drive into Rochester to go see bands play
at the Pla-Mor, Knights of Columbus or the Social Club.
Dennis used to be in a few bands, back in his younger years,
and used to play atleast once a month at these shindigs.
I've seen his bands play,
been in the same building watching other bands play
with him hundreds of times,
but never met him until that fateful day in the soccer field.

I'm proud of him today,
which isn't a far departure from the joy and pride
I feel everyday from having a dear, true friend like Dennis.
But, today my BFF has completed another huge hurdle
in his academic career.
I'm happy to see him achieve another one of his goals.
He's brilliant.
Good job, old friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment