Monday, August 1, 2011

08/01: Birthday

Today is my 30th birthday.
Also the birthday of MTV.
I'm going to kick off this
blog idea I've been holding onto.
A year of 30's.
Each month will have a
different theme
and I will try my damnedest
to choose a topic I can
potentially blog about for
30 freaking days.
Being that this is my birth month,
I feel like doing something
that represents the nostalgic,
existential brooding, reminiscent
side of me that birthdays
always seem to bring out.
So, although this could be
the hardest topic to start with,
I want to do a month of memories.
I'll try to spread it out
enough to last all month.
I'll try to blog each day.
Whew- here we go!

08/01: Memories

Birthday Cakes

My mom used to bake me the most amazing birthday cakes.
She probably still would
if I didn't live
an hour and a half away.
She made me a yummy
chocolate and creme de menthe
cake that was bright green
and dark fudgey brown swirls.
She baked a boxed cake with
store bought frosting-
but tracked down a handful
of New Kids On The Block
pins to decorate the cake with.
She's gotten me Dairy Queen
ice cream cakes
or Rainbow Bright and Barbie cakes or done toppers for
whatever ridiculous thing
I was into.
She always did an amazing job
putting together birthday parties
and picking out great birthday
presents
(of course always giving Dad
partial credit in signing the card)
My birthdays,
for all of my 30 years,
have been spectacular events
because my mom has always
made them so.
Thanks, Mom!



No comments:

Post a Comment